Get on the path to results today.


sarasota child and parental relocation

A new job or a change in your family may require you to move. However, as a custodial parent, if you plan to move out of the court's jurisdiction with your child you need a lawyer to help you get court permission to move.

At the office of H. Stephen Hillebrand, Attorney at Law, I help parents obtain child custody modifications and permission to relocate. I also represent noncustodial parents who want to fight a child relocation. As a Sarasota child and parental relocation lawyer with more than 30 years experience, I can help you understand your options and work toward a court-approved relocation plan that meets your needs.

To discuss your case, contact my law firm. In a free initial consultation, I can answer your questions and give you an honest assessment of your situation.

How Relocations Work

A custodial parent cannot simply move away with their child. You must inform the noncustodial parent and obtain permission from the court prior to the relocation. The court considers a number of factors when determining whether or not to permit relocation, including:

  • Extent of involvement with the child by the parents 
  • Proposed substitute contact schedule between the child and the non-relocating parent 
  • Whether relocation will enhance the general quality of life for the parent seeking to relocate and the child 
  • Current employment and economic circumstances of both parties 
  • Whether the person seeking relocation is doing so in good faith 
  • Any other factor affecting the best interest of the child 

There is no presumption for or against allowing a parent to relocate with their child. No matter what side you are on, I will help you obtain a court's ratification of a relocation agreement or represent you in the hearing.

Temporary Relocation Orders

In cases where you must move quickly, the court can grant a temporary relocation order. While a normal hearing can take up to 90 days to be scheduled, a hearing for a temporary order may be possible within 30 days. I can help you work for a temporary order and get started on your move out of state.

Contact a Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida, Child Custody Dispute Lawyer

Whether you need to move out of state with your child or want to stop a child move away, I can help. Call 941-365-5900 or contact me, a Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida, child custody dispute attorney, online to schedule a free consultation at my Sarasota office.